This year’s GPHG saw a total of no less than 196 watches entered into the running for one of the night’s awards. The jury, presided over by Aurel Bacs, then pre-selected 84 models, divided into 14 categories. The latter included four new awards – the Iconic Watch, Diver’s Watch, Calendar and Astronomy and Horological Revelation.
The outcome is similar to last year’s, with a strong ratio of independents among the winners. Out of 18 watch awards, eight were awarded to independents including Kudoke (Petite Aiguille), Ming (Horological Revelation) and newcomer Genus, (Mechanical Exception), while virtuoso watchmaker Voutilainen scooped two awards (Men’s Watch and Artistic Crafts).
The biggest winner of the evening was Audemars Piguet who took home three awards including the top prize – the Aiguille d’Or – for its Royal Oak Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin.
The watch is the world’s thinnest automatic perpetual calendar at just 6.3mm in height, achieved primarily by using a modified ultra-thin cal. 2120 as a base with a smartly designed perpetual calendar module on top that has an integrated end-of-month cam on the date wheel and a 48-month wheel with a novel geometry.
Elsewhere, having lost to Genus in the Mechanical Exception category, Vacheron Constantin clinched the Innovation award with its Traditionnelle Twin Beat Perpetual Calendar. The watch addresses the problem of having to reset a perpetual calendar that has lain dormant. It utilises two balances oscillating at a frequency of 5Hz and 1.2Hz respectively. In active mode (5Hz), the watch runs as usual with a four-day power reserve, while in standby mode (1.2Hz), the watch receives just enough energy to keep the calendar indications running for up to 65 days, thanks to a differential on top of the barrels that allow them to unwind at two speeds.
The complete list of winners are as follows:
- Aiguille d’Or: Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Selfwinding Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin
- Ladies’ Watch: Chanel J12 Calibre 12.1
- Ladies’ Complication: MB&F Legacy Machine FlyingT
- Men’s Watch: Voutilainen 28ti
- Men’s Complication: Audemars Piguet Code 11.59 Minute Repeater Supersonnerie
- Iconic Watch: Audemars Piguet Royal Oak “Jumbo” Extra-thin
- Chronometry: Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud Carburised steel regulator
- Calendar and Astronomy Watch: Hermès Arceau L’heure de la lune
- Mechanical Exception: Genus GNS1.2
- Chronograph: Bvlgari Octo Finissimo Chronograph GMT Automatic
- Diver’s Watch: Seiko Prospex LX line diver’s
- Jewellery Watch: Bulgari Serpenti Misteriosi Romani
- Artistic Crafts: Voutilainen Starry Night Vine
- Petite Aiguille: Kudoke 2
- Challenge Watch: Tudor Black Bay P01
- Innovation: Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Twin Beat perpetual calendar
- Audacity: Urwerk AMC
- Horological Revelation: Ming 17.06 Copper
- Special Jury Prize: Luc Pettavino, Founder and Organiser of Only Watch
For more, visit GPHG.org.
Back to top.
You may also enjoy these.
White from end to end.
The upgraded entry-level watch.
The Royal Oak RD#2 comes true.